How do I start a new color in Fair Isle?
Start Your Fair Isle Knitting Swatch
For the first row of the pattern, knit one stitch in the background color. Insert the needle in the next stitch, then wrap the yarn around the needle with the new contrast color and complete the stitch. This is similar to joining a new ball of yarn at the edge of your knitting.
How do you choose colors for Fair Isle?
- Arrange your stash yarn in 3 piles: one of light colors (right), one of dark colors (left), and one of supersaturated and odd colors (top). …
- Arrange the colors in value sequences from light to dark. …
- Choose a sequence of three light colors and a sequence of three dark colors.
How do you add a new color yarn when knitting?
Joining a new colour
- When you are at the point you want to change colour, take your new colour and your yarn tail and tie them together in a loose knot. …
- Take your right needle and insert it into your first stitch, now take your new colour and start knitting with it.
- When you have finished your knitting.
Are Fair Isle sweaters only for Christmas?
But this year, we’d like to steer you towards a festive knit that’s not just for Christmas. … To knitting enthusiasts, ‘Fair Isle’ is a very specific technique, but to us laymen it’s become a catch-all for any knitwear with multiple colours in repeating patterns.