With this simple sewing tutorial you can make a sweater the right length! You can shorten the hem of a sweater, the hem of a cardigan, or you can shorten the sleeves of a sweater.
Can you cut a knitted sweater?
Cutting a knitted sweater is a convenient way to shape or resize it. This will also tie the sleeves if you knit a full blouse from the beginning. This is a daunting opportunity because if you don’t do it right, a few innocent snippets can make it completely clear.
Can you alter a knit sweater?
You generally can. Most wool, cashmere, and natural fiber knits can be altered in order to give a better fit. This includes “fine knits” (small stitched, machine-made items) and knits of medium and heavier weight yarns.
How do you make a sweater shorter?
- Mark where you want your sweater to end. …
- Make two cuts across the bottom of your sweater. …
- Pin the bottom and top together. …
- Sew the two pieces together. …
- Trim the fabric between the top and bottom a little more so they match up.
- Overlock (or Zigzag) that raw edge. …
- Press your new seam down with an iron.
How do you shorten a sweater without it unraveling?
- Use straight pins to mark the area of the sweater that needs to be steeked.
- Using your sewing machine, sew a line of short stitches around this area. These stitches will prevent the sweater from unraveling.
- With sharp scissors, cut into the area inside the stitches. Be sure you do not cut into the machine stitching.
How do you finish the edges of a sweater?
You can also use stretch mesh or a strip of cotton jersey cut on the lengthwise grain. Both stabilize the seam without adding bulk. The raw edges of a sweater knit can easily unravel because they are loose knit. You can finish the raw edges with your serger or a zigzag stitch.
How do you shrink an acrylic sweater?
Place the washed garment in the dryer. Turn off any “shrink guard” or “soft heat” options, and time the dryer for 50 to 60 minutes. Remove the garment from the dryer and try it on. If the garment does not reach the desired size, repeat the process.
How do you turn a wool sweater into a cardigan?
How to refashion a jumper into a cardigan
- I love cardigans. …
- Find the centre of the jumper by measuring across the top and bottom. …
- On either side of the centre front line, sew a seam of zigzag stitches. …
- Attach a band of cotton ribbon or bias binding to the back on each side. …
- Mark where you want your buttons, and sew the buttonholes.
Can you cut and sew knitting?
You can either combine the different garment pieces by treating the knit almost like a fabric, where by you have a large square of knit that you lay the pattern pieces on and then cut out your pattern pieces and sew them together. This process is called ‘cut and sew’.