When all your elastic is within the casing, stitch together the two marked ends of the elastic by hand. Pull the ends of the elastic into the hem and make sure that they fit appropriately. Stitch down the opening on the casing to complete your fabric or cloth. You have now finished sewing elastic using a casing.
How do you hand elastic directly to fabric?
How to sew elastic to fabric
- Measure and pin to divide your fabric into quarter sections. Mark your elastic into quarters in the same way.
- Pin the end of your elastic to the end of your fabric and stitch to secure. Pull the elastic tightly and pin the next section of elastic to the next pin on the fabric.
How do you sew an elastic waistband by hand?
How to Make an Elastic Waistband with Wide Elastic
- Cut the elastic to your waist measurement plus 1 inch (2.5cm).
- Overlap the ends by 1/2 inch (12mm) and pin it. …
- Stitch the elastic overlap. …
- Really wide fabric skirts may need to be gathered slightly first. …
- Divide the elastic band in quarters and mark.
What tension should I use for elastic?
Generally elastic works best when stretched 3-8%, with 8% only being used on the smaller parts of the garment as it’s a bit extreme, as remember the more you stretch the elastic the more stitches you are putting on that space of elastic.
How much elastic do you need for a waistband?
The elastic for a waistband should be approximately 2″ smaller than your waist measurement.
Can you cut elastic in half lengthwise?
As a result, many people are asking if they can cut elastic lengthwise – i.e. “Can I cut 1/2″ elastic in half to make 1/4″ elastic?” I do not recommend cutting elastic in half lengthwise, it almost always makes the elastic fray and/or lose integrity. Instead, I’d suggest using jersey knit fabric to make mask ties.
Why won’t my sewing machine sew elastic?
You may be using the right technique of stretching the elastic as you sew, but you may have the wrong kind of elastic. All elastics are definitely not equal. Or, you may be using too short a stitch or stretching the elastic too much or not have the right kind of elastic for the fabric you are using, etc.
What thread should I use for stretchy fabric?
The most common threads used to sew stretch knit fabrics are textured polyester or textured nylon threads like A&E’s Wildcat® Plus or Best Stretch®. Textured threads are ideal for overedge and coverstitch seams because they offer excellent seam coverage and seam elasticity.
What tension do you use to sew cotton?
Cotton requires a moderate tension setting, usually between three and four. Always start adjusting your tension settings with your upper tension.